Annual UAM ‘Fan Day’ set for Aug. 24
It’s that time again.
Ryburn Motor Company, Inc. and Commercial Bank are partnering with the University of Arkansas at Monticello to host the seventh annual UAM Sports Fan Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24 on the lot at Ryburn Automotive Superstore, 156 U.S. Highway 425 South.
Coaches and student-athletes from all of UAM’s intercollegiate athletics teams, as well as the cheerleaders and the UAM mascots, Weezy and Blossom, will participate in the event. Sports Fan Day is open to the public at no charge.
Fans are encourages to stop by the dealership to visit with representatives of the UAM athletics department about the upcoming sports seasons—and meet new head coaches Greg Long (women’s basketball), Kyle Lem (softball), Adam Buie (men’s and women’s golf) and Jocelyn Garcia (volleyball), as well as new department administrators.
Since last year, Padraic McMeel has assumed the position of Director of Athletics, and he has hired four new assistants.
Cody Jones is the new Assistant Athletics Director for Game Operations and Facilities; Catie Lusby the Assistant Athletic Director for External Affairs; Ben Matos the Assistant Athletics Director for Athletics Communications; ad Ka’Lisa Stanfield the Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance
Picture opportunities will be available, as well as free food and drinks.
There will also be giveaways, games and activities for all attendees, young and old.
Again, the UAM Sports Network will be on hand throughout the day interviewing coaches and student-athletes. That broadcast can be heard locally at KHBM 93.7 FM and online at uamsports.com.
Upcoming fall sports’ openers are:
• Women’s golf: Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 3-4—at the Southwestern Oklahoma State University Invitational, Adams Pointe Golf Club, Weatherford, Okla.;
• Football: Thursday, Sept. 5—vs. Arkansas Tech University, 6 p.m. at Willis “Convoy” Leslie Cotton Boll Stadium;
• Volleyball: Friday, Sept. 6—vs. Auburn University at Montgomery, 1 p.m. and the University of Missouri at St. Louis, 7:30 p.m. at the University of Missouri for Science and Technology Miner Invitational, Rolla, Mo.;
• Men’s and women’s cross country: Saturday, Sept. 7—at the University of Central Arkansas Cross County Challenge, Conway; and
• Men’s golf: Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 9-10—at the Southern Nazarene University Invitational, Lake Hefner Golf Course, Bethany, Okla.